Top of the Gulf Regatta 2019 Presented by Ocean Marina
Facts and Highlights from the Ocean Marina.
- The 2019 Top of the Gulf Regatta is the 15th edition and will take place 30th April to 5th May, 2019.
- Founded in 2005 by Bill Gasson and Ocean Marina Yacht Club, the idea developed from various small yacht racing events that were being held at Ocean Marina Yacht Club at the time, and with the aim to combine and create one of the largest regattas in Thailand.
- The regatta has grown to become one of the largest regattas of its kind in Asia and has has been recognised by multiple awards including “Best Amateur Sports Event of the Year in Thailand” (2016 Asian Sports Industry Awards) and “Asian Regatta of the Year” (2014 Asian Marine & Boating Awards).
- Since 2015 Top of the Gulf Regatta is fully owned by Ocean Property. Continuing to work with the Organising Committee structure, Ocean Property is closely supported by the Ocean Marina Yacht Club, Royal Varuna Yacht Club and the Royal Thai Navy, and the regatta is held under the auspices of the Yacht Racing Association of Thailand.
- The Top of the Gulf Regatta is unique – it is the only multi-class sailing event of its kind in Asia. The regatta attracts a large fleet of keelboats and ocean multihulls, as well as one-design Platus, beach catamarans, dinghies and Optimists, as well as a IOM Radio Controlled Class.
- Top of the Gulf Regatta is the penultimate event in the AsianYachting Grand Prix season.
Thailand Optimist Open Championship
The 2019 Top of the Gulf Regatta will for the first time host the Thailand Optimist Open Championship over four days. The Championship is open to all nationalities of optimist sailors from around the world and will have its own course area off Ocean Marina Yacht Club with dedicated race management.
Thailand S\V14 Para Sailing Championship
For the first time, the 2019 regatta will include Para Sailing and will host the Thailand S\V14 Para Sailing Championship. Ocean Marina Yacht Club have bought a fleet of S\V14 two-handed dinghies that are designed specifically for sailors with disabilities. This will be the first fleet of S\V14s in the world with the goal to support sailing for all in Thailand and ultimately support the creation of a national Thai Para Sailing team.
The regatta is headquartered at Ocean Marina Yacht Club, which has been the host venue for the regatta since the event began in 2005 and is the largest marina in South East Asia. Ocean Marina Yacht Club is the only marina in Thailand that hosts an international regatta. Ocean Marina Yacht Club is located at 167/5 Moo4, Km 157 Sukhumvit Road, Sattahip, Chonburi 20250, Thailand, www.oceanmarinayachtclub.com.
Regatta Schedule of Events
Tuesday 30th April: Registration Day – Classes 1-6
10:00 – 17:30 Registration Classes 1-6
14:00 Practice Race Classes 1-6
17:00 Skippers Briefing Classes 1-6
18:00 Free Evening
Wednesday 1st May: Race Day One – Classes 1-6, Registration Classes 7-12 and 16
09:30 – 16:30 Registration Classes 7-12 and 16
10:55 Racing Programme Beings – Classes 1-6
18:00-20:00 Opening Ceremony and Cocktails on the Lawn at Ocean Marina Yacht Club
Thursday 2nd May: Race Day Two – All Classes (except Classes 14, 15)
09:00 Briefing for Classes 7-12 and 16
10:55 Racing Programme Begins – All Classes except 14, 15
17:00-19:00 Daily Prize-giving and Drinks on the lawn
Friday 3rd May: Race Day Three – All Classes
09:00 – 10:00 Registration and Briefing for Classes 14 and 15
09:55 Racing Programme Begins – All Classes
14:00 – 17:00 Beach Party for Classes 1-6 at Koh Rin (subject to approval)
17:00-18:00 Other Classes Drinks on the Lawn
Saturday 4th May: Race Day Four – All Classes
10:55 Racing Programme Begins – All Classes.
17:00 – 19:00 Daily Prize-Giving and Drinks on the Lawn
Sunday 5th May: Race Day Five – All Classes
10:55 Racing Programme Begins – All Classes
18:00 – 22:00 Ocean Marina Gala Dinner Party
Daily and Series Prize-Giving
The regatta will have the following classes, subject to entries received:
Class One, IRC 1 Keelboats with an IRC 1.200 and above
Note: The Committee will consider Class 0 for TP52 (and like) yachts
subject to entry numbers.
Class Two, IRC 2 Keelboats with an IRC 1.060 to 1.199
Class Three, IRC 3 Keelboats with an IRC 0.960 1.059
Class Four Cruising Keelboats
Class Five Platu
Class Six Ocean Multihulls
Class Seven Thailand Optimist Open Championship
Class Eight Single-handed Monohull Dinghies with RVYC rating 1110 or less
Class Nine Single-handed Monohull Dinghies with RVYC rating 1111 – 1200
Class Ten Single-handed Monohull Dinghies with RVYC rating above 1200
Class Eleven Double-handed Monohull Dinghies
Class Twelve Beach Catamarans
Class Thirteen Blank
Class Fourteen Sailboards
Class Fifteen IOM Class RC Yachts
Class Sixteen Thailand S\V14 Para Sailing Championship
Sponsors of the 2019 Top of the Gulf Regatta Presented by Ocean Marina
Presenting Sponsor & Host Venue:
Ocean Marina Yacht Club by Ocean Property
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Chubb Samaggi Insurance
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel
The Pizza Company
Fragrant Harbour Magazine
Luxury Society Dot Com
Marine Directory Asia
Marine Scene Asia Dot Com
Sail-World Dot Com
SEA Yachting Magazine
Disabled Sailing Association Thailand
Na Jomtien Municipality
Ocean Marina Pattaya Boat Show
Royal Varuna Yacht Club
Sports Authority of Thailand
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Yacht Racing Association of Thailand
Official Website and Social Media
Duncan Worthington/ Chanut Nawnarong
Tel: +66 (0) 81 893 4006/ Tel: +66 (0) 92 554 4149